I found a sick/injured/orphaned animal, now what?!

Come spring, comes the return of wildlife to our parks, backyards, and roadways. Consequently, it is that “time of year” when you may come across an animal that appears to need human assistance. Although Lorain County Metro Parks does NOT have the required federal & state permits to accept, rescue, or rehabilitate wildlife, we do have the names & numbers of various licensed wildlife rehabilitators & rehabilitation facilities that -depending on the circumstance- may be able to assist you.  One such place is Lake Erie Nature & Science Center (LENSC) in Bay Village.  Here is a link to LENSC’s ‘Wildlife Rehabilitation’ page if you have any questions about “What to do?” and how to contact their rehabilitators if you come across a sick, injured, or orphaned animal: http://www.lensc.org/wildlife/rehabilitation.htm ~“LENSC has been performing wildlife rehabilitation at no charge to the public since its inception in 1945, and although they cannot pick up or rescue animals, those which can be transported to the Center will receive quality care and hopefully another chance at life in the wild.”  Another great resource is ODNR Division of Wildlife’s ‘Born Wild, Stay Wild’ webpage: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/orphaned-and-injured-wildlife.  The best way that you can help an animal in distress is to get it in the “right licensed rehabilitator hands.” ~CVC Naturalist, Miss Jenn 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s